In our project on ways of thinking and living in China, we are trying to open our minds to new ideas and ways of understanding the world.
Is this a good or a bad place for a tree to grow? Ask your children to give you the Daoist perspective!
Here are some of the class’s thoughts on the unfathomable “Dao” and the yin and yang. They said the Dao is
– how we are all connected to nature and everything around us (Olivia)
– the rhythm of nature and Earth (Sarafina)
– the way of life and nature (Kaliyah)
– a big world, small people (Reaiah).
On Yin and Yang, that they
– show how even opposite things need each other…. how everything in life is linked (Olivia)
– are opposites but need to be in balance to be right (Ignas)
– are the balance in the world (Ellie)
– show how opposites cannot live without one another (Kyrell).