We’ve been continuing learning about ways of thinking and living in China. Here are some of 6CM’s interpretations of ancient proverbs from the Dao De Jing.
The wise man is one who knows what he does not know
- No-one knows everything in the world so we should learn. (Nathan)
- If you think you know everything and don’t listen, you won’t know everything, because everyone has their own talents and life experiences, so everyone is worth listening to and an intelligent person will know that. (Emily)
- It means that you might think you know a lot but there is more you need to know. (Reaiah)
The truth is not always beautiful nor beautiful words the truth.
- It means the truth can be horrible. And not everything is good. It also means that just because something sounds the way you want it to sound, it does not mean it is true. (Jim)
- I think that it means that the truth can be anything; maybe you won’t like the truth, but you have to accept it. You can’t change it or shape it how you want it – it doesn’t have to be beautiful, but it’s still the only truth. (Sarafina)
- When someone tells you something, it won’t always come out how you want it. (Nathan)
Do you have the patience to wait until the mud settles and the water is clear?
- Sometimes your mind gets clouded up with things and feelings, which can be confusing, but if you wait, eventually things will settle and come clear and show you what to do. (Ellie)
A journey of 1000 miles begins where you stand
- Every journey has a beginning – no matter how far or how big it may seem, there is always a first step. (Nina)
Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt
- You can only do so much. If you keep trying so hard to make it good, it will turn bad. When you strive for perfection, it will never be perfect. Everything has balance. You do this; this will happen. (Sarafina)
- I think this means you should never have too much of anything, you should have the right amount of it and your life will be good. Also, if you try too hard to find perfection your attempts might turn against you, making your life worse. (Olivia)
When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.
- Just be yourself around other people and then they will like you because you don’t try to change who you are. (Faisal)